My favorite summer veggies are squash and zucchinis, tomatoes, corn and basil. This time of the year these vegetables are abundant in the garden. If you don’t have a garden you can find them at your local farmers markets.
Summer Squash with Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Basil Recipe
Ingredients for squash:
- 3 Table sp. olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 pounds summer squash (zucchini or yellow or a combination), cut into julienne slices
- ½ bunch basil chopped or torn into small pieces
- 2 Table sp. pine nuts, toasted
Ingredients for tomato toppings:
- 2 Table sp. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- fresh or dried oregano to taste
- sea salt to taste
- Heat 3 Tbs. olive oil in a medium large sauté pan, add garlic and salt. Cook on low for 30 seconds or until garlic begins to turn a golden color (do not burn!)
- Increase heat to medium and add squash and cook until just tender. Add basil and pine nuts.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat 2 Tbs. olive oil, add garlic and salt. Cook on low for 30 seconds or until garlic begins to turn a golden color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add oregano and season with salt to taste.
- Sever squash with tomato toppings. Enjoy!