What is Ghee?
I am a big fan of ghee and saturated fats that come from happy, healthy animals, raised on their natural diet. I believe these are the only fats safe for cooking with high temperatures.
As my dear friend explains on her website:
“Ghee is an extra clarified butter, rendered through the long, slow application of heat to promote the separation of milk solids. True ghee is prepared over an open flame so that moisture is released, creating a shelf-stable product with long-term potency, and is cooked for a longer time than clarified butter so that the milk solids caramelize, giving it a richer flavor. The removal of lactose and casein makes ghee a wonderful butter alternative for most people who are intolerant of dairy.”Adapted from the website: https://bellyofthesun.com/
Belly of the Sun offers artisanal, botanical Ghee in the form of nourishing creations that honor ancient traditions in order to help us thrive into the future.
Why I love Ghee
- It has a high smoke point and it’s beneficial for your health. Unlike other vegetable cooking oils with a high smoke point usually genetically modified, partially hydrogenated, oxidized with harmful free radicals.
- It’s full of fat-soluble vitamins. It helps boost your intake of vitamin A, E, and K.
- It’s free of lactose and casein protein. Those with lactose intolerance usually don’t have an issue with ghee.
- It contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). Which means it helps reduce body fat, preventing cancer formation, alleviating inflammation and even lower blood pressure.
- It improves digestion because it is loaded with butyrate. Butyrate or butyric acid is a short-chain fatty acid that plays a central role in gut health. It is key to promoting a healthy gut microbiome. Butyrate also provides energy for the cells in the colon, helps support guy barrier functions and fights off inflammation.
- It strengthens your bones, because of its vitamin K content. Vitamin K is directly involved in bone metabolism and increases the amount of specific protein that is required to maintain the calcium in your bones.
- It promotes healthy weight loss. The medium-chain fatty acids found in healthy fats like ghee and coconut oil can boost fat burning and help ramp up weight loss.