Maple syrup is my favorite type of sugar to use. Not only because it’s delicious but it is also healthy. It is one of the best natural sugar substitutes for multiple reasons:
- Contains fairly high amounts of manganese and zinc, in addition to potassium and calcium.
- Rich in antioxidants and it helps neutralize free radicals and reduce oxidative damage.
- Gets a lower score on the glycemic index.
- Helps protect skin health; makes a great facemask combined with yogurt. Help to lower skin inflammation, redness and dryness.
2 cups of raw nuts; walnuts, pecans, or any of your favorite nut combination
½ cup maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbs. Ghee
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt ghee in a skillet.
- Stir in maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Bring mixture to a simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the nuts and stir, coating them in the maple syrup mixture until sauce is syrupy and nuts are well coated.
- Transfer nuts to a parchment lined baking sheet and spread them in a single layer.
- Bake in the over for 10 minutes, or until the nuts are caramelized.
- Let cool about 30 minutes. Enjoy!